Patients who suffer from chronic dental sensitivity often end up altering their daily routines in a number of ways in order to avoid discomfort. These patients may limit their diets, and take short-cuts in cleaning their smiles.
Our O’Fallon dentists help patients overcome dental sensitivity, so that they can live unencumbered. Keep reading to get a better idea of what this type of treatment entails…
The first step is for our dental team to identify the underlying cause of the dental sensitivity you’re experiencing. Sensitivity can occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Thinning dental enamel
- Receding or damaged gum tissue
- Entrenched oral health problems, like cavities and gum disease
- Cracked or chipped enamel
- Bruxism-related pain
Once we understand why you’re dealing with pain and discomfort, we can tailor our treatment recommendations to meet your specific needs. Depending on the cause of your dental sensitivity, you may benefit from:
- Incorporating enamel-strengthening treatments into your routine—there are professional treatments available, as well as over-the-counter topical formulations to fight enamel erosion.
- Addressing periodontal disease—gum disease treatments strengthen gum tissue and help it to heal and regenerate. As gum tissue heals, and periodontal pockets diminish, a patient’s sensitive dental nerves become better protected.
- Using protective materials to cover enamel—in some cases materials like composite resin are used to shield diminished dental enamel from irritants and fortify the tooth as a whole.
- Improving bruxism so as to minimize further damage—treatments for bruxism include, orthodontic treatment, customized restorations, and protective oral appliances (which patients wear at night). These treatments reduce tooth-on-tooth grinding that thins enamel over time.
You absolutely do not have to live with a sensitive smile forever; there are treatments available to help you smile, eat, and drink comfortably again. Give our O’Fallon dentists a call to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation with our team!
So many people tell our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists the same story: a patient looks in the mirror one day, and just doesn’t recognize the dark or stained smile staring back at them. Dental discoloration is problem that really compounds incrementally over time. We may not notice individual new stains day to day, but definitely notice the end result!
Whitening and refreshing your smile is absolutely achievable, and our dental team can help you find the perfect aesthetic treatment option for your life. Keep reading to learn more about the ways you can combat dental discoloration.
The number one consideration as we start treatment is to determine the underlying cause of the aesthetic changes to your smile. Dental discoloration can develop for a number of reasons including:
- Environmental stains due to pigmented foods, drinks, and tobacco products. Tobacco products are especially powerful staining substances.
- Thinning dental enamel, which allows more of the yellow dentin to shine through to the surface of the patient’s smile.
- Dental damage that leaves the tooth looking gray or dark; when the inner core of a tooth is damaged, the entire tooth can start to look discolored and dull.
The aesthetic treatment you pursue will depend on the root cause of your aesthetic issue:
- Professional dental cleanings will refresh smiles darkened due to plaque and tartar build-up
- Topical whitening treatments minimize entrenched stains, especially those from foods, drinks, and tobacco
- Dental bonding covers existing enamel with custom-shaded dental resin. The result is a transformed tooth that looks fresh and bright.
- Individual porcelain veneers are bonded to the patient’s tooth structure to give the tooth a new appearance.
Some patients are able to achieve their aesthetic goals using one of these treatments, while others combine whitening solutions in order to refresh their smiles. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists are here to help you weigh all of your treatment options, so that you can make a sound dental decision.
Many of us want to improve the appearances of our smiles, and this often includes straightening teeth as well as closing gaps in the patient’s smile. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists actually offer a number of treatment options to help patients achieve these aesthetic goals. In today’s articles, we’re going to be reviewing dental treatments that can be used to make a patient’s smile look straighter and more perfected!
The first way to meet these goals is to use traditional orthodontic treatment. We’re all familiar with conventional braces—these are the orthodontics that use metal brackets and wires to shift teeth over time. This type of treatment is effective and reliable, but many patients don’t want to deal with the inconvenience and aesthetic drawbacks of using metal braces.
That is why Invisalign is such an exciting cosmetic treatment option. This orthodontic solution moves teeth using custom-fit clear plastic aligners, rather than metal brackets and wires. Because Invisalign aligners are clear and removable, they really do not interfere with the patient’s daily routine and functioning.
So far we’ve been talking about cosmetic treatments that actually move the patient’s natural teeth into better positions. However, you can also improve the appearance of your smile by using restorations to resurface your natural teeth. Two options in this regard are porcelain veneers and composite dental bonding. Both of these treatments can be used to address specific teeth, or to transform entire smiles.
It’s important to get started by completing a thorough assessment with our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists. We’ll be able to make treatment recommendations based on the current health of your smile, your treatment timeline, and your budget.
Thanks to advancements in the world of aesthetic dentistry, you, as a patient, have more treatment options than ever before. As always, you can reach our team by giving our office a call, or using the Contact Us page on our site to submit an inquiry.
- O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentist Reviews 3 Things That May Be Making Your Smile Look Older
- Our O’Fallon Dentist Explains What We Do During A Professional Cleaning
- Take Care Of Your Smile When You’re Sick With Help From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Conquer Dental Sensitivity With Support From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists Help Patients Refresh Their Smile With Dental Whitening Options
- Learn More About The Many Ways To Achieve A Straighter Smile From Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists
- Get The Facts About Coffee: Our O’Fallon Dentists Talk About Coffee’s Effect On The Smile
- O’Fallon Dentists Educate Patients On Signs Of Emerging Infections
- Get The Facts On Personalized Restorations With Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Dental Implant Dentists Have Put Together This Short Q&A About Replacement Teeth
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.