So many people tell our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists the same story: a patient looks in the mirror one day, and just doesn’t recognize the dark or stained smile staring back at them. Dental discoloration is problem that really compounds incrementally over time. We may not notice individual new stains day to day, but definitely notice the end result!
Whitening and refreshing your smile is absolutely achievable, and our dental team can help you find the perfect aesthetic treatment option for your life. Keep reading to learn more about the ways you can combat dental discoloration.
The number one consideration as we start treatment is to determine the underlying cause of the aesthetic changes to your smile. Dental discoloration can develop for a number of reasons including:
- Environmental stains due to pigmented foods, drinks, and tobacco products. Tobacco products are especially powerful staining substances.
- Thinning dental enamel, which allows more of the yellow dentin to shine through to the surface of the patient’s smile.
- Dental damage that leaves the tooth looking gray or dark; when the inner core of a tooth is damaged, the entire tooth can start to look discolored and dull.
The aesthetic treatment you pursue will depend on the root cause of your aesthetic issue:
- Professional dental cleanings will refresh smiles darkened due to plaque and tartar build-up
- Topical whitening treatments minimize entrenched stains, especially those from foods, drinks, and tobacco
- Dental bonding covers existing enamel with custom-shaded dental resin. The result is a transformed tooth that looks fresh and bright.
- Individual porcelain veneers are bonded to the patient’s tooth structure to give the tooth a new appearance.
Some patients are able to achieve their aesthetic goals using one of these treatments, while others combine whitening solutions in order to refresh their smiles. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists are here to help you weigh all of your treatment options, so that you can make a sound dental decision.
Many of us want to improve the appearances of our smiles, and this often includes straightening teeth as well as closing gaps in the patient’s smile. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists actually offer a number of treatment options to help patients achieve these aesthetic goals. In today’s articles, we’re going to be reviewing dental treatments that can be used to make a patient’s smile look straighter and more perfected!
The first way to meet these goals is to use traditional orthodontic treatment. We’re all familiar with conventional braces—these are the orthodontics that use metal brackets and wires to shift teeth over time. This type of treatment is effective and reliable, but many patients don’t want to deal with the inconvenience and aesthetic drawbacks of using metal braces.
That is why Invisalign is such an exciting cosmetic treatment option. This orthodontic solution moves teeth using custom-fit clear plastic aligners, rather than metal brackets and wires. Because Invisalign aligners are clear and removable, they really do not interfere with the patient’s daily routine and functioning.
So far we’ve been talking about cosmetic treatments that actually move the patient’s natural teeth into better positions. However, you can also improve the appearance of your smile by using restorations to resurface your natural teeth. Two options in this regard are porcelain veneers and composite dental bonding. Both of these treatments can be used to address specific teeth, or to transform entire smiles.
It’s important to get started by completing a thorough assessment with our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists. We’ll be able to make treatment recommendations based on the current health of your smile, your treatment timeline, and your budget.
Thanks to advancements in the world of aesthetic dentistry, you, as a patient, have more treatment options than ever before. As always, you can reach our team by giving our office a call, or using the Contact Us page on our site to submit an inquiry.
For many Americans, coffee is a vital part of the morning routine: wake up, get your bearings, recharge with a cup of coffee. Sounds great!
However, there are some things to know about how coffee affects your smile. Our O’Fallon dentists are here to tell you about how you can take steps to maintain your smile, while enjoying your daily cup of java. Keep reading to learn more!
The number one complaint our dentists hear from patients about coffee is that it stains dental enamel. It is true that, when your teeth are exposed to coffee over a long period of time, the dental enamel can begin to accumulate color deposits.
One good way to minimize this unwanted side effect is to use a straw to drink your coffee. Using a straw allows you to largely bypass your dental enamel, so that you don’t totally coat your smile in coffee. Another beneficial, and easy, step is to rinse your mouth with water once you’re done with your coffee. Don’t let coffee sit on your smile for longer than necessary!
You’ll also want to make sure that you’re drinking plenty of water throughout the day in addition to your coffee. This will help you stay hydrated, and produce plenty of saliva, so that you’re less likely to end up battling chronic bad breath.
If you’re someone who experiences dental sensitivity when sipping a hot coffee, this could be a sign that your dental enamel is thin or compromised. Talk to your dentist about strategies to minimize sensitivity, as well as well treatments that can fortify your enamel.
Our O’Fallon dentists are happy to give you any additional information that you may need about caring for your smile, in general, and coffee consumption, in particular. Give our team a call to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation!
- Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists Help Patients Refresh Their Smile With Dental Whitening Options
- Learn More About The Many Ways To Achieve A Straighter Smile From Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists
- Get The Facts About Coffee: Our O’Fallon Dentists Talk About Coffee’s Effect On The Smile
- O’Fallon Dentists Educate Patients On Signs Of Emerging Infections
- Get The Facts On Personalized Restorations With Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Dental Implant Dentists Have Put Together This Short Q&A About Replacement Teeth
- Here Are Some Important Factors To Consider When Undergoing Aesthetic Dental Treatment
- Our O’Fallon Dentist Gives You Dietary Suggestions To Boost Your Oral Health
- O’Fallon LUMINEERS Dentist Answers Questions About This Popular Treatment
- Our O’Fallon Sedation Dentist Explains Why And When Relaxation Treatments Are Used
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.