Pediatric dental care can make a big difference for your child’s smile today, and well into the future. Keep reading to get some simple tips on how to help your child develop healthy oral hygiene habits!
Proper dental care starts at home! Encourage your child to…
· Brush his teeth at least twice a day—specifically, in the morning and night before bed
· Brush for at least 2 minutes every time he brushes—keep a stopwatch by the sink, or play a song that is about 2 minutes long to help your child keep track of time!
· Use gentle circular motions to buff plaque off of his teeth—remind your child that applying more pressure does not equal a better clean; in fact, applying too much pressure can cause enamel thinning and gum tissue damage
· Floss once a day—the best time to floss is actually in the evening, right before you brush your teeth
· Floss between every single one of his teeth for optimal results
· Guide his floss down into his gum tissue in order to remove as much plaque as possible
Professional dental care complements your at-home efforts.
· Most dental patients—both children and adults—should complete professional dental cleanings every six months or so. This allows our dental team to clear away newly developed plaque and tartar in a timely fashion.
· Some children will benefit from additional preventive treatments, like sealants and topical fluoride treatments.
· Our dental team is here to reinforce all of the good work that you’re doing at home, and talk to your child about why oral health is so important! We can also review proper brushing and flossing techniques with them, and answer any questions that they may have.
As always, please feel free to reach out to our O’Fallon dentists to get more information about dental care for people of all ages!