If you’re the type to make resolutions for the new year, take this opportunity to pledge to care for your smile in 2017! This is a great time for you to recommit to your dentist-recommended oral hygiene routine. Our O’Fallon dentists are here with some suggestions on how to maintain your teeth and gums this year.
Brushing your teeth helps to keep your smile looking clean and bright, and helps to prevent cavities and gum disease.
· Make sure that you’re brushing morning and night
· Use a toothbrush that is appropriate for you—most people should be using soft bristled toothbrushes—talk to your dentist if you are unsure
· Brush your smile for at least two minutes every time that you brush
· Use gentle circular motions to buff away plaque—too much pressure can actually cause enamel or gum tissue damage
Many people don’t take the time to floss as recommended, but this is a mistake!
· The American Dental Association recommends that patients floss once a day
· The best time to floss your smile is right before you brush your teeth at night
· Make sure that you are flossing between all of your teeth, and that you’re moving your piece of floss all the way down into your gum tissue
There are also some simple habits that you can incorporate into your daily routine in order to refresh your smile:
· Rinse your mouth with water after meals
· Make sure that you are drinking enough water every day, as this enables your body to produce oral-health-boosting saliva
· Don’t use abrasive toothpicks to clean between your teeth—if you need to dislodge a piece of food, do so using gentle floss
Our O’Fallon dentists can give you more information about caring for your smile at home. Please feel free to call our office to speak to a member of our team and schedule your consultation!