Porcelain veneers are an ideal cosmetic option for many patients because they can transform a patient’s smile quickly and easily. When a patient receives dental veneers she is able to eat, drink, and smile with confidence! Our O’Fallon cosmetic dental office is here to help you maintain your dental veneers for years to come. Read on for more information about how you can preserve your veneers…
Step one—dental hygiene
Your veneers, like your natural teeth, require daily cleaning and maintenance. Brush your veneers twice a day just as you’d brush your natural teeth. Take the time to floss at least once day, and you can even add in a mouthwash if you want. This regular cleaning will do two things:
1. help your veneers look bright and white over the long-term
2. kill bacteria that leads to gum disease. In order for your veneers to stay strong, you have to preserve a foundation of healthy gum and bone tissue.
Step two—practice good eating habits
And just as you should minimize harmful oral habits to protect your natural teeth, you should also avoid these habits in order to protect your porcelain veneers:
1. don’t chew on hard candies or ice
2. try not to use your front teeth to open wrappers or chip bags, this can damage natural teeth and dental veneers
3. don’t chew on foods with your front teeth (these are the teeth generally covered by dental veneers), use your back teeth to chew hard foods
For the most part, you can care for your dental veneers as you care for your natural teeth. Just take these few precautions to extend the life of your cosmetic smile! Give our O’Fallon cosmetic dental office a call to schedule your own cosmetic dentistry or veneers consultation. We will walk you through the process and help you discover what dental veneers can do for you!