Take These Steps From Our O’Fallon Dentists To Protect Your Smile
When you care for your smile effectively every day, you help to keep your smile strong and healthy for years to come. In this short article our O’Fallon dentists are going to give you some helpful tips about how you can protect your teeth day to day.
The first thing to keep in mind is that you want to minimize bacterial plaque production as much a possible throughout the day:
· Try to avoid sugary and carbohydrate-rich foods and drinks as much as possible (these substances promote bacteria productions)
· Rinse your mouth with water throughout the day to dislodge particles
· Drink plenty of water so that your body can produce saliva (which helps to remineralize teeth)
· When you do indulge in unhealthy foods and drinks, try to do so in a limited period of time, rather than sipping or snacking throughout the day
Additionally, there are some common habits that you can avoid in order to further protect your oral health:
· Do not chew on hard candies and ice. This habit can cause enamel thinning as well as sudden dental fracture
· Try not to grind or clench your teeth (many people do this when they are stressed), because as your enamel grinds against enamel, your teeth actually weaken
· Do not brush your teeth directly after consuming acidic substances. It is better to wait at least 30 minutes so that your enamel has a chance to harden again before you apply pressure by brushing
If you want more direction regarding how you can care for your smile day to day, please feel free to call our O’Fallon dentists. We have the information that you need to stay well, and we are here to help you build an oral hygiene routine that truly works for your smile!