O’Fallon Dentist Helps Patients Make Good Dental Decisions Every Day
As you move throughout your day, are you doing everything you can to care for and protect your smile? Our O’Fallon dentists are here to make sure that the answer that question is a resounding “yes!”
That is why, today, we are reviewing some of the things that you can do to prioritize your oral health day to day. Keep reading to get some helpful tips…
The first thing to keep in mind is that you want to minimize the amount of harmful oral bacteria that are able to take root in your smile. To do this you can A) take steps to minimize bacteria products and B) clear away newly colonized bacteria ASAP.
· Limit the amount sugary and carbohydrate-rich foods that you consume
· When you do indulge in sugary treats, try to eat them in a designated time frame, rather than snacking or sipping through the entire day
· Rinse your mouth with water after eating and drinking
· Drink plenty of water throughout the day—this refreshes your smile, and increases natural saliva production
It is also important for you to develop and maintain good habits to protect your smile from unnecessary dental damage.
· Clear away any dental debris using gentle floss, rather than potentially abrasive metal and wooden toothpicks.
· Do not chomp on things like hard candies, mints, or ice, as all of these things can cause cracks and chips in your dental enamel.
· Stay alert for signs of bruxism (dental grinding). If you do notice that you are grinding and/or clenching your teeth throughout the day, talk to your dentist about potential preventive treatments.
As always our O’Fallon dentists are here to help you make the best decisions for your smile! So call our office if you want more information or if you’d like to schedule a personal consultation. We look forward to speaking with you.