Patients who suffer from chronic dental sensitivity often end up altering their daily routines in a number of ways in order to avoid discomfort. These patients may limit their diets, and take short-cuts in cleaning their smiles.
Our O’Fallon dentists help patients overcome dental sensitivity, so that they can live unencumbered. Keep reading to get a better idea of what this type of treatment entails…
The first step is for our dental team to identify the underlying cause of the dental sensitivity you’re experiencing. Sensitivity can occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Thinning dental enamel
- Receding or damaged gum tissue
- Entrenched oral health problems, like cavities and gum disease
- Cracked or chipped enamel
- Bruxism-related pain
Once we understand why you’re dealing with pain and discomfort, we can tailor our treatment recommendations to meet your specific needs. Depending on the cause of your dental sensitivity, you may benefit from:
- Incorporating enamel-strengthening treatments into your routine—there are professional treatments available, as well as over-the-counter topical formulations to fight enamel erosion.
- Addressing periodontal disease—gum disease treatments strengthen gum tissue and help it to heal and regenerate. As gum tissue heals, and periodontal pockets diminish, a patient’s sensitive dental nerves become better protected.
- Using protective materials to cover enamel—in some cases materials like composite resin are used to shield diminished dental enamel from irritants and fortify the tooth as a whole.
- Improving bruxism so as to minimize further damage—treatments for bruxism include, orthodontic treatment, customized restorations, and protective oral appliances (which patients wear at night). These treatments reduce tooth-on-tooth grinding that thins enamel over time.
You absolutely do not have to live with a sensitive smile forever; there are treatments available to help you smile, eat, and drink comfortably again. Give our O’Fallon dentists a call to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation with our team!