In today’s article our O’Fallon dentists are sharing information about how refined carbohydrates affect oral health over time. Many of our favorite treats are refined carbs, and, as you will see, it is super important to indulge in these treats thoughtfully and strategically. Keep reading to get more information…
This discussion is so important because the harmful bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease actually feed on sugars and carbohydrates. We want to make it more difficult for bacteria to thrive, and one way to do this is to make your mouth an unfriendly environment for them.
Here are some commonly consumed foods and drinks that may take a toll on your smile:
- White bread
- Flavored yogurts
- White rice
- Pastries and sweets
- Fruit juices
Take the time to pre-plan your diet for the day. It can be helpful to see all of your foods and drinks listed on the same paper. As you would imagine, it is always a good idea to swap out sugary substances for more nutrient-rich foods. Additionally, when you do indulge, you should try to do so at a specific period of time. Sipping or snacking all day long allows oral bacteria to feed all day long as well.
Keep in mind that keeping up with your brushing and flossing routine is also vital to clearing away bacteria and getting rid of food particles between your teeth. If you aren’t sure whether your daily diet and dental routine are working for you, please reach out to our O’Fallon dentists to schedule a personal consultation. We look forward to speaking with you!
- Learn More From Our O’Fallon Dentists About The Condition Bruxism
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Share Tips On Maintaining Oral Health During The Holidays
- O’Fallon Dentist Reviews Causes Of Tooth Sensitivity And Treatments
- Here Are A Few Of The Treatments Our O’Fallon Dentists Use To Restore Smiles
- Learn More About Ways You Can Improve Dental Aesthetics With Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Take Control of Gum Disease With The Support Of Our O’Fallon Gum Disease Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Outline Ways We Restore Damaged Smiles
- Achieve Results In No Time With Help From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- More Information From Our O’Fallon Dentists About The Effects Of Carbohydrates One Dental Health
- Learn More From Our O’Fallon Dentists About Same-Day Treatments
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.