For many Americans, coffee is a vital part of the morning routine: wake up, get your bearings, recharge with a cup of coffee. Sounds great!
However, there are some things to know about how coffee affects your smile. Our O’Fallon dentists are here to tell you about how you can take steps to maintain your smile, while enjoying your daily cup of java. Keep reading to learn more!
The number one complaint our dentists hear from patients about coffee is that it stains dental enamel. It is true that, when your teeth are exposed to coffee over a long period of time, the dental enamel can begin to accumulate color deposits.
One good way to minimize this unwanted side effect is to use a straw to drink your coffee. Using a straw allows you to largely bypass your dental enamel, so that you don’t totally coat your smile in coffee. Another beneficial, and easy, step is to rinse your mouth with water once you’re done with your coffee. Don’t let coffee sit on your smile for longer than necessary!
You’ll also want to make sure that you’re drinking plenty of water throughout the day in addition to your coffee. This will help you stay hydrated, and produce plenty of saliva, so that you’re less likely to end up battling chronic bad breath.
If you’re someone who experiences dental sensitivity when sipping a hot coffee, this could be a sign that your dental enamel is thin or compromised. Talk to your dentist about strategies to minimize sensitivity, as well as well treatments that can fortify your enamel.
Our O’Fallon dentists are happy to give you any additional information that you may need about caring for your smile, in general, and coffee consumption, in particular. Give our team a call to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation!
- O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentist Reviews 3 Things That May Be Making Your Smile Look Older
- Our O’Fallon Dentist Explains What We Do During A Professional Cleaning
- Take Care Of Your Smile When You’re Sick With Help From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Conquer Dental Sensitivity With Support From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists Help Patients Refresh Their Smile With Dental Whitening Options
- Learn More About The Many Ways To Achieve A Straighter Smile From Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists
- Get The Facts About Coffee: Our O’Fallon Dentists Talk About Coffee’s Effect On The Smile
- O’Fallon Dentists Educate Patients On Signs Of Emerging Infections
- Get The Facts On Personalized Restorations With Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Dental Implant Dentists Have Put Together This Short Q&A About Replacement Teeth
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.