So many people tell our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists the same story: a patient looks in the mirror one day, and just doesn’t recognize the dark or stained smile staring back at them. Dental discoloration is problem that really compounds incrementally over time. We may not notice individual new stains day to day, but definitely notice the end result!
Whitening and refreshing your smile is absolutely achievable, and our dental team can help you find the perfect aesthetic treatment option for your life. Keep reading to learn more about the ways you can combat dental discoloration.
The number one consideration as we start treatment is to determine the underlying cause of the aesthetic changes to your smile. Dental discoloration can develop for a number of reasons including:
- Environmental stains due to pigmented foods, drinks, and tobacco products. Tobacco products are especially powerful staining substances.
- Thinning dental enamel, which allows more of the yellow dentin to shine through to the surface of the patient’s smile.
- Dental damage that leaves the tooth looking gray or dark; when the inner core of a tooth is damaged, the entire tooth can start to look discolored and dull.
The aesthetic treatment you pursue will depend on the root cause of your aesthetic issue:
- Professional dental cleanings will refresh smiles darkened due to plaque and tartar build-up
- Topical whitening treatments minimize entrenched stains, especially those from foods, drinks, and tobacco
- Dental bonding covers existing enamel with custom-shaded dental resin. The result is a transformed tooth that looks fresh and bright.
- Individual porcelain veneers are bonded to the patient’s tooth structure to give the tooth a new appearance.
Some patients are able to achieve their aesthetic goals using one of these treatments, while others combine whitening solutions in order to refresh their smiles. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists are here to help you weigh all of your treatment options, so that you can make a sound dental decision.
Many of us want to improve the appearances of our smiles, and this often includes straightening teeth as well as closing gaps in the patient’s smile. Our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists actually offer a number of treatment options to help patients achieve these aesthetic goals. In today’s articles, we’re going to be reviewing dental treatments that can be used to make a patient’s smile look straighter and more perfected!
The first way to meet these goals is to use traditional orthodontic treatment. We’re all familiar with conventional braces—these are the orthodontics that use metal brackets and wires to shift teeth over time. This type of treatment is effective and reliable, but many patients don’t want to deal with the inconvenience and aesthetic drawbacks of using metal braces.
That is why Invisalign is such an exciting cosmetic treatment option. This orthodontic solution moves teeth using custom-fit clear plastic aligners, rather than metal brackets and wires. Because Invisalign aligners are clear and removable, they really do not interfere with the patient’s daily routine and functioning.
So far we’ve been talking about cosmetic treatments that actually move the patient’s natural teeth into better positions. However, you can also improve the appearance of your smile by using restorations to resurface your natural teeth. Two options in this regard are porcelain veneers and composite dental bonding. Both of these treatments can be used to address specific teeth, or to transform entire smiles.
It’s important to get started by completing a thorough assessment with our O’Fallon cosmetic dentists. We’ll be able to make treatment recommendations based on the current health of your smile, your treatment timeline, and your budget.
Thanks to advancements in the world of aesthetic dentistry, you, as a patient, have more treatment options than ever before. As always, you can reach our team by giving our office a call, or using the Contact Us page on our site to submit an inquiry.
- Our O’Fallon Dentist Discusses 3 Things That You Can Do To Overcome Chronic Bad Breath
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Encourage You To Pay Attention Any Changes To Your Smile
- 3 Things To Know About Cosmetic Dental Veneers Courtesy Of Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentists Explain How Veneers Compare To Other Cosmetic Treatments
- Learn More About All Of Your Restorative Treatment Options From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Review Beverages That Can Affect Your Smile
- O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentist Reviews 3 Things That May Be Making Your Smile Look Older
- Our O’Fallon Dentist Explains What We Do During A Professional Cleaning
- Take Care Of Your Smile When You’re Sick With Help From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Conquer Dental Sensitivity With Support From Our O’Fallon Dentists
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.