There are simple things that you can do every day to help maintain a strong and healthy smile. Our O’Fallon dentists are here with some helpful tips on how to care for your oral health day to day. We hope that this information allows you to further improve your at-home oral hygiene routine. As always, you can give us a call if you need more information!
To begin, the number one thing that you can do care for your smile is to follow all of your dentist’s recommendations regarding at-home care as well as professional cleanings and treatments. For most people, this means brushing their teeth twice a day, flossing at least once a day, and completing professional cleanings every six months or so.
The next step is to pay attention to your diet. Remember that foods and drinks with high concentrations of acid can weaken and deplete dental enamel over time; it is best to consume these things in short, designated time periods, rather than continuously throughout the day. Additionally, you want to minimize, as much as possible, the amount of sugar and refined carbohydrates you consume, as these feed harmful oral bacteria.
One thing that you can do to help refresh your smile throughout the day is to rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking. Also, make sure that you are drinking enough water during the day; when you are well-hydrated, your body is able to produce saliva, and saliva works to re-mineralize your dental enamel and neutralize oral bacteria.
Finally, be mindful about the tools you are using to clean your smile. If you do get food particles stuck between your teeth, for example, use floss to remove these bits, rather than picking at your smile with metal or wooden picks. Make sure, as well, that you are not using a toothbrush that is too abrasive—most people are fine with a soft-bristled toothbrush. If you’re not sure what type of toothbrush is right for you, talk to your dentist to get more information!
- O’Fallon Cosmetic Dentist Explains The Ways We Customize Aesthetic Treatments
- You Permanent Tooth Replacement Treatment Options Explained By Our O’Fallon Dentist
- Take Care Of Your Smile With These Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains Some Things That Cause Premature Enamel Thinning
- Improve Your Oral Hygiene Routine This Year With Help From our O’Fallon Dentist
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains How Different Substances Can Damage Your Smile
- Sedation 101 From Our O’Fallon Relaxation Dentists
- Learn More About How Teeth Become Cracked and Chipped From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Halloween Dental Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Gives Tips On Helping Children Maintain Healthy Smiles
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.