Teeth are designed to be very strong and resilient, but they are not indestructible. Over time your teeth may develop problematic cracks or chips—these may be large or so small that you cannot see them with the naked eye.
Today our O’Fallon dentists are talking about how dental enamel becomes cracked and chipped. We hope that this information will help you take steps to protect your smile from this kind of damage.
Teeth can, of course, become damaged when a patient suffers a dental trauma. Car accidents and sporting accidents are common causes of damage. Take the time now to figure out who you will call for treatment in a dental emergency!
Dental trauma is a pretty dramatic and obvious cause of dental damage, but there are a number of more banal issues that can lead to dental cracks and chips. Bruxism, for example, puts an enormous amount of pressure on your teeth, and can lead to broken enamel over time. Bruxism is a term that is used to describe chronic dental grinding and clenching. Bruxism can manifest during the day or at night. In order to safeguard your smile, your dentist may recommend that you wear a protective mouth guard when you sleep. Alternatively, orthodontic treatment can help to perfect your bite so that your top and bottom jaws come together comfortably.
Acid erosion will also leave your enamel susceptible to damage. Acidic substances like fruit juices, wine, and many whole fruits can weaken dental enamel and wear it down. In order to minimize the amount of damage that acid does to your smile, try to rinse your teeth with water after enjoying something acidic.
If you want to learn more about the causes of dental damage, our O’Fallon dentists are here to give you all of the information you need!
- Take Care Of Your Smile With These Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains Some Things That Cause Premature Enamel Thinning
- Improve Your Oral Hygiene Routine This Year With Help From our O’Fallon Dentist
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains How Different Substances Can Damage Your Smile
- Sedation 101 From Our O’Fallon Relaxation Dentists
- Learn More About How Teeth Become Cracked and Chipped From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Halloween Dental Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Gives Tips On Helping Children Maintain Healthy Smiles
- O’Fallon Dentist Gives You Helpful Tips On Your Flossing Routine
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Help You Understand The Utility Of Various Dental Ingredients
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.