It’s that time of year: when our houses are flooded with yummy Halloween candy! Halloween-time is, by its very nature, indulgent, but there are still simple things that you can do to help safeguard your smile this fall. Here are some helpful tips from our O’Fallon dentists…
1. Drink Up
This is a great time to increase the amount of water that you drink, and to be really mindful about staying hydrated. When you are properly hydrated, your body is able to produce saliva, which naturally helps to neutralize bacteria and re-mineralize your dental enamel.
2. Rinse Regularly
Keep sugary substances from sitting on your enamel by rinsing your mouth with water after eating or drinking. This simple step can help you maintain fresh breath throughout the day.
3. Enjoy Responsibly
Did you know that it actually makes a difference when, precisely, you eat candy? For example, if you indulge in a piece of candy after eating a meal, your mouth is already flooded with saliva. This means that your body is better able to neutralize the bacteria that feed on sugary substances. Likewise, it is better to eat candy in one, time-limited setting, rather than snacking throughout the day. The key is, we want to minimize the amount of time that your enamel or and oral tissues are exposed to sugars.
4. Beware of Certain Types of Candy
Sticky candies are notorious for getting stuck between your teeth. When enjoying something chewy and sticky, make sure to remove any pits that may have become lodged in your smile—use gentle floss rather than potentially abrasive toothpicks. Also, when enjoying hard candies or mints, make sure that you are not chewing these candies, as chewing hard substances can lead to dental damage.
As always, our O’Fallon dentists are here to answer all of your questions and give you any more information that you may need on maintaining your smile. Call our team to learn more!
- Take Care Of Your Smile With These Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains Some Things That Cause Premature Enamel Thinning
- Improve Your Oral Hygiene Routine This Year With Help From our O’Fallon Dentist
- O’Fallon Dentist Explains How Different Substances Can Damage Your Smile
- Sedation 101 From Our O’Fallon Relaxation Dentists
- Learn More About How Teeth Become Cracked and Chipped From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- Halloween Dental Tips From Our O’Fallon Dentists
- O’Fallon Dentist Gives Tips On Helping Children Maintain Healthy Smiles
- O’Fallon Dentist Gives You Helpful Tips On Your Flossing Routine
- Our O’Fallon Dentists Help You Understand The Utility Of Various Dental Ingredients
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.